Monday, November 22, 2004

"Schu and the Volcano"

At the ryokan, I got to meet two people from Australia and a couple from Germany. One of the great things about going to places where ryokan houses foreigner, is that you get to meet new people who can speak your language…and suck some info about their country for possible visits in the future. The German folks already gave me some idea of what to do next year.

Oddly enough, this ryokan is fairly famous. There once was a traveler from Germany (I believe some kind of professor), who stayed at this ryokan for 90 days. Shortly after, this guy committed suicide by throwing himself in front of a train. How weird. The more weird part is that the ryokan owner posted the news article about the incident on the message board, as if he is proud of it. Whatever.

In the morning, I took the ferry over to Sakurajima (桜島), an active volcano. According to another couple I met (this time from Canada), the volcano has been quite quiet…but today there were actual smoke coming out.

S600SakuraJimi1
The Volcano at Sakura-jimi...Please don't erupt on me today...

The best part of the day was a nice soak at the local onsen. Without reading the instructions carefully, I went into the bath area without purchasing a towel. Bad idea. I eventually dried myself with my T-shirt.

Tonight, it is an encore visit to Fukuoka/Hakata…mainly for the Ramen Street. Is the effort and cost justified?

S695FukBeer
Small Hut-like Pub Owners near Ramen Alley

S710FukRamenAlley
THE Ramen Alley...but only one among many in Fukuoka

I'd say it is ALL worth it!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home