Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Here in Japan!!! Yeah!!!

I arrived at about 2pm today at Narita Airport (成田空港). Upon arrival, I went to the convenient Citibank ATM machine and appropriately gotten 30,000 yen (US$1 = 110 yen) out. I took the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori for about 1600 yen.
S74JPN1116Narita
Waiting for the Keisei Skyliner @ Narita Airport

As I looked out the window from the Skyliner, seeing all the buildings and people, I felt that I was getting reacquainted with an old friend. I felt very nostalgic. Japan has always been a place where I would love to stay and work. I have kept a lookout for oppotunities where US companies would send employees to Japan...but in my line of work (Electrical Engineering in Construction), these types of opportunity is next to zero. I felt comfortable speaking my limited Japanese capabilities...and got my way around to find my hotel in Minami-senju at Taito-ku (within Tokyo). This hotel is very simple. Originally the hotel is geared toward local workers who had to work late, but could not go home. The rooms are 3-jo (3 tatami size...which is how people in Japan measure the size of rooms, instead of square feet/square meter...roughly 10'x6'). It is sufficient....it only cost me about US$28 a night.

Well...I am hungry now....so I had better take off to Shinjuku (新宿) to eat at my favorite Ramen Shop, Jyumei-ya, owned by a Chinese family. I first went to this shop in the mid-80s. Great atmosphere...and great food.

S84JPN1116Ramen
Slurp!!!

Got at the restaurant at around 9pm. Mmmmmmm....ramen!!! Soooooo good!!! After this yummy meal, I took a stroll around Shinjuku to the multiple camera/electronic shops and DVD/Game Stores, as well as this Street Ramen Shop at Shinjuku Station.

S89JPN1117Ramen2
I want one of these in San Francisco!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home